Skip To Main Content

Ø  Teacher and Paraprofessional Information

If you wish to learn more about your child’s teachers’ training and credentials, we are happy to provide this information to you. At any time you can ask whether the teacher met state qualifications and certification requirements for the grade level and subject he/she is teaching, whether the teacher received an emergency or conditional certificate through which the state qualifications were waived, and what undergraduate or graduate degrees the teacher holds or majors.

 You can also ask about paraprofessionals working with your child in reading, writing, and mathematics. We can tell you whether your child receives help from a paraprofessional and whether he/ she meets state qualifications.

Ø  Citizen Complaint Process:

A citizen complaint is a written statement that alleges a violation of a federal rule, law or regulation or state regulation that applies to a federal program.

  • Anyone can file a citizen complaint.
  • There is no special form.
  • There is no need to know the law that governs a federal program to file a complaint.  


Ø  Protection of Pupil Rights Amendment    (PPRA) (20 U.S.C. § 1232h; 34 CFR Part 98) applies to programs that receive funding from the U.S. Department of Education (ED).

Ø Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act  (FERPA) gives parents certain rights with respect to their children's education records. These rights transfer to the student when he or she reaches the age of 18 or attends a school beyond the high school level. Students to whom the rights have transferred are "eligible students."          




Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, commonly called “Section 504,” is a federal law that protects students from discrimination based on disability. Section 504 assures that students with disabilities have educational opportunities and benefits equal to those provided to students without disabilities. To be eligible, a student must have a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activity.

A 504 Plan helps a child with special health care needs to fully participate in school. Usually, a 504 Plan is used by a general education student who is not eligible for special education services. A 504 Plan lists accommodations related to the child's disability and required by the child so that he or she may participate in the general classroom setting and educational programs. For example, a 504 Plan may include:

  • Plans to make a school wheelchair-accessible
  • Your child's assistive technology needs during the school day
  • Permission for your child to type assignments instead of writing them by hand
  • Permission for your child to hand in assignments late due to illness or a hospital stay

Your child may be eligible for accommodations under a 504 Plan if he or she has a physical or mental health disability that limits one or more major life functions 

How to Request a 504 Evaluation